The 2014 SME Annual Meeting & Exhibit was held in Salt Lake City, UT this past week (Feb. 23-26, 2014). I tried to post daily updates throughout the week. If you missed these updates, find them below. As usual, there were many great things on display through the Exhibit. Below is one of my favorite displays of the Exhibit.
Sunday Feb 23
Today is the official start of the 2014 SME Meeting and Exhibit under the theme “Leadership in Uncertain Times”. The meeting is at the Salt Palace Convention Center, Salt Lake City, UT February 23-26, 2014. According to SME, over 5,500 mining professionals from 30 countries, including me, are expected to attend. There will be nearly 700 papers presented in the 117 sessions and eight short courses.
I will be presenting three papers (two of them on work by my graduate students who cannot be there) and be there to support two of my graduate students who are also presenting their work (see below for the list of papers). SME has selected one of the sessions I am presenting in, Industrial Minerals and Aggregates: Aggregates Reserve Estimation, Mine Planning, and Extraction, for content capture so it will be available later through SME for those who cannot attend.
I will try to keep you updated with events at the meeting, starting with Monday’s keynote session titled, Community Engagement: Building Partnerships for Mining.
Monday Feb 24
- Keynote session started by SME President Jessica Kogel
- SME introduces the mining in society merit badge for the Boys Scouts of America. The Scouts brought in the flags of the 33 countries where SME has at least 10 members.
- Keynote session on “Community Engagement: Building Partnerships for Mining” moderated by John Hollenhorst of KSL-TV, Salt Lake. Opening comments are delivered by Anthony Hodge, President, International Council on Mining and Metals. The panel is made up of:
- Margaret O’Gorman, President, Wildlife Habitat Council
- Marielle Canter Weikel, Senior Director, Responsible Mining & Energy, Center
for Environmental Leadership in Business, Conservation International
- Eric Lundgren, Director of Business Development and
International Programs, Africare
- Elaine Dorward-King, Executive Vice President of Sustainability,
Newmont Mining Corp.
- William Cobb, Vice President, Environment and Sustainable Development,
Freeport McMoRan Copper and Gold
- Veronica Nyhan Jones, Sustainable Business Advisory and Extractives Lead,
International Finance Corp.
- Three papers presented by researchers of the Sustainable Mining Modeling Group, a research group directed by Dr. Awuah-Offei at Missouri S&T, in two sessions (Mining and our community and Research and innovation in industrial minerals and aggregates).
Tuesday Feb 25
- Presentation by Ms. Angelina Anani, PhD candidate in mining engineering and member of the Sustainable Mining Modeling Group at Missouri S&T.
Wednesday Feb 26
- Presentation on how to determine factors responsible for differences in energy efficiency performance of operators in mining operations.